Wednesday, October 27, 2004

In other News: Brent Spiner Wouldn't Shake My Hand!
At the Comicon in Plano this past weekend, I got to see many, many celebrities and artists. From Star Trek, there were Brent Spiner (Data), Micheal Dorn (Worf), John DeLancie (Q), Will Wheaton (Wesley Crusher) and Chase Masterson (Leeta, the Bajoran Dahbo girl from DSN). They were all mildly entertaining, but all of them (except Brent Spiner with his new appearances on Enterprize, of course) seemed strangely worried/negative. John DeLancie has a million different running gigs with Disney and other groups outside of Star Trek, so he seemed relatively comfortable with himself. Dorn, made some comment about shooting himself in the head if he knew when he started that it would go for 11 years (7 STNG and 4 DSN). Wheaton seemed amused that people came to his book-reading... I must say, I was pleasantly surprized with the exerpts from his new book about being a geek.

Anyway,, I did not approach the tables, a couple of times, because there were so many people present and Joe (GTA's brother) had not seen everything yet. After a horrible Cabaret-musical bit by Masterson, I stumbled back to the tables just as Brent Spiner was getting up. His publicist was busy and everyone was clearing out, but I was going to congratulate him with a simple message, "Save Enterprize, please!" But, that would not be delivered. As I approached, he said, "Oh, I'm done shaking hands. They are Pureed by now." as he backed away from me like I had the freaking plague.

But then he froze and took a good look at my shirt, (probably thinking, "crap, I've just offended a fan") and responded, "oh, heh!, it's a 'Weird Al' shirt, I know him and think he is very funny." as he nervously backed out the door with a quick wave to Masterson, now that his publicist was on-the-ball. Message undelivered, hand unshaken...

Now, I realize actors are not the smartest people in the entertainment business (take Adam West for instance) besides producers. They don't write stories, they don't invent their character's traits really, they just "go to work" and follow the given script with great spirit, like a manufacturing technician... but still, I can't help but feel a slight blow-off. Anyway, wherever you are, Mr Spiner, follow your script, and please use your figure-head status to save 'Enterprize' from horrible crapitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home