Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Today's Attitude:

[Wired, yet Mystically Brain-fried]

Glutton for Punishment

I just worked another 14-hour shift at ITT - no, I'm not kidding. I arrived, this morning, at about 8:30am and left at 10:30pm and now I am shaking uncontrollably. The question I am hoping some will help me ponder is "Why does this always happen to me?"
When I was working at DuPont, people would come out of the wood-work and ask me to do a whole lot of stuff. The better job I did, the more people would ask me, until I was a continuous buzz of activity, all-day. Then, as now, I got made fun of, because I increased my efficiency by increasing my rate of travel within the office. Today, I was really getting nervous that I wouldn't finish anything before my Physics class, this evening, and the only way to finish was just to speed up - ok, so I finished 90% of it. ITT is having me teach in the early morning and late night on three of my five days there (including Saturday).
No matter where I seem to be or what my job is, I always end up pigeon-holed in this state. The only way to improve things is to move faster and faster - as more requests drop on my desk - until people watching me in a bizarre curiosity - having a hard time keeping track of me because I am moving so fast. The result on me is that I suffer dehydration, a distinct shaking feeling by the time GoofTroopAg shouffer's me home and an intense hunger for sugar and alcohol.
I suppose I could just tell people off when they ask me to do something over std capacity ("Take a number"), but I hate telling people that - it messes with my ego. But, just like DuPont, at the height of my efficiency, speed and usefulness I will depart for a far-away city - the 'El Durado' I seek, Austin, TX - and away from the dreary, sue-happy Seattle, but closer to family and friends.
It has taken me almost two years to convince them that I am the hardest working person they will ever know, and I will abandon the effort to start over again, as I did two and a half years ago.
Does anyone have any ideas? I am at a loss. I do not want to tell people off like many others do, but I feel like they need it to manage people better in the future - but who am I? Their mentor? No, just someone who cares about what I am doing to help those who want to turn their life around.

Let me know what you think.
-The Citizen Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home